Monday, June 14, 2010

Spanking is OK!!??

My knowledge tells me spanking children is not an effective parenting tool, especially spanking when you feel mad. However, there were time when my hands react faster than my thoughts...
Today is one of those days. my oldest son is a pusher. He pushes to get attention, when he feels excited, when he is bored, and perhaps under other conditions as well. He has pushed his grandfather`s head from behind several times when his grandfather was sitting on the couch watching T.V. I have tried putting him in time-out, telling him NO firmly, explaining his behaviors causes harm to his grandfather, yet, he did it again today. I held up his left hand, slapped it with my left hand, told him NO, put him in his time-out corner and explained to him pushing anyone is "not nice". Yes, I did the parenting combo.
He cried for couple minutes. As soon as he got out from time-out, he started running around again like life is perfect. Couple minutes after that, I realized there was a bruised spot on my thumb. Terrified, I checked his hand. Luckily, there were red marks but no bruised spots on his hand, but guilt and fear have occupied me.
For him, did he learn not to push again? I doubted.  However, for me, I learned spanking (including hand slapping) even with bare hands is not OK.








 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment