Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How much do we censor children`s information sources?

I posted on my facebook that my son has started watching Ultraman, and that he likes to call it "A man". I received a feedback from my friend saying "My fren kid stand on the sofa, n tell his dad ' dad... see.. superman'.. n he fell from the sofa!! big lump on his forehead. so make sure u censor wat ur kid see & share with them wat is right or wrong". My response was " I bet he will not jump off from sofa again."

It is true that after my son watches Ultraman; he likes to play pretend fight. However, that is the prefect timing for me to redirect him how to fight correctly. Just like in the book " Parenting with love and Logic", helicopter parents will always be there to protect they kids, yet, they missed the opportunity to let their kids think for themselves that jumping from height is dangerous.
One thing I truly believe is that the pain they suffer when they are young will be far less severe than when they are older. My own personal experience: One day when I was about 12 or 13 years old, I tried to chase after a motorcycle bread man with my bicycle. I went very fast, too fast indeed to turn when I came to a corner. I fell and picked up myself crying all the way home. However, due to that accident, I will never drive my car more than the speed limit, or get in a car with a crazy driver.
I hope my son will fall when he first started learning how to bike, and not get into a car accident later in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment